The First Big Draw

     Let's take a little stroll down memory lane, shall we?

2014

    The debut year of what was, at the time, just a regular house decorating for Halloween. I knew I wanted something different from every other house. Just one stand out piece. And then my brain was graced with the idea to Amityville my picture window. I mixed up a batch of fake blood and then took to making a line across the top of my window. Since this was outside, I wanted something natural. I didn't want anything potentially toxic to affect the insect population. I am also a photographer, so I like the little neighborhood insects that frequent my flower patches. My mixture is powdered sugar with food coloring, thinned with water. Basic and all natural. Once it dries, it thickens and congeals, so aside from drawing a few more bees to my corner it will withstand the weather and still be easily cleaned after Halloween. Unfortunately, I didn't really take photos the first year. I was only looking for an escape from what was happening in my life at the time. It was only afterwards that I was made aware of how much of an interest it garnered. 


2016

    There was still a lot of trial and error the first few years. Even here I struggled to find that perfect consistency that would drip but not be a complete washout on the glass. 

    Yea, let's just say that I missed the left turn in Albuquerque and ended up in Amity instead of Amityville. Although, I would probably last longer with the giant shark.



    Here you see my dabble in hand printing. If you think it looks too thin on the window, lemme just say, it wasn't just the window. I was red. And then it becomes, 'You get red. And you get red. Everybody gets red! There was one really good thing that came outta that though.

Amazing cast off spatter! Yay!

2018

    The weather was so bad and turned cold so quickly this year. There was also another reason that made me decide to forego doing the window, my health. I had been having some pain in my back that started a couple of months prior to October. I just figured I tweaked my back since it was a common issue. Well, that would end up being a BIG MISTAKE! I found out months later that a neighborhood kid looked forward to that window every year. It was so sad. I had to make it up to him, so I planned everything out to be perfect the following season.

2019

    This was the year. I was sure of it. Everything was going to be perfect. However, the pain that I had been having since the previous year was worse, and constant. I had a record number of kids trick or treating. I had to live up to the previous years. While there were other factors with the remainder of the decor, this would end up being the best Amityville window yet.


A lot better, am I right?

    So it ended up that a couple weeks later is when I was having the emergency surgery to save my life. I was shocked knowing that I had been slowly bleeding to death internally for a year and change. While I was laid up healing, I made a choice that would end up changing everything. And that is where I got where I am right this moment.

2020

    This is the year. This season, EVERYTHING is going to be bigger. And the Amityville window is no different. It will be getting a makeover. A cleaner makeover. This summer saw an increase of wasps so I opted to go a much better route. Or, rather, we will see what the consensus will be. 

So, ya wanna get a sneaky peeky? Of course you do!


    Now, this is only a part of the final look. More will be coming and there may even be a couple of testing pictures that I shared over on my Instagram. So pop on over there to stay up to date on my current process and special behind the scene shenanigans. 

What are you waiting for. Go. Now. I said march. Oh wait, do you not know where to go. Oops, sorry bout that. Well, you can click the 'Instagram' link on the top left corner of your PC. Or well, you know, just click HERE.





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 24

Day 25

Day 30